The North London derby, like Merseyside derby is one of the biggest rivalries in English football and the stats can be intriguing.
It is the Football rivalry between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.
Here, we’ll highlight 10 of the most intriguing North London Derby stats and facts that you won’t find anywhere else.
Find below the summary of the stats and facts before we delve into in-depth explanation of each.
Find out: Arsenal’s Worst Player Signings
North London Derby Stats and Facts in Summary
- The Gunners have won 80 North London derbies compared to Tottenham’s 51. In essence, Arsenal Have won the most North London Derby – about 41.88% of total NLD matches, while Spurs have won just about 32%.
- Harry Kane is the only active player with 10+ Goals in Derby history.
- Tottenham are yet to outwin Arsenal in any English competitions.
- White Hart Lane has hosted the most NLD – 25.
- Arsenal averages 1.53 Goals per game in the NLD compared to Tottenham’s 1.33.
- Tottenham have won (3) more European honors than Arsenal (2).
- Arsenal have won (45) more than double Tottenham’s domestic honors (21).
- Only 2 players have represented AND scored for both teams in the NLD – Jimmy Robertson and Emmanuel Adebayor.
- The NLD has witnessed just 18 penalties in its history.
- Pat Jennings has the most North London derby appearances (32), 11 more than his closest rival Sol Campbell.
10 Most Intriguing North London Derby Stats and Facts
1. Arsenal Have won More North London Derbies Than Tottenham: 41% of total Derby Matches, while Spurs have won just about 31.9%
So far, Arsenal have won 80 North London derbies out of 191. That’s 41.88% of the total matches.
However, Tottenham on the other hand have won just 61 matches.
2. Harry Kane is the only active player with 10+ Goals in the Derby history
Only Emmanuel Adebayor (10) and Harry Kane (11) have hit double figures of goals in the North London derby.
Adebayor has retired from Football since July 2020.
That leaves Harry Kane as the only active player with 10+ goals in the North London derby.
In addition, Harry Kane is the highest goal scorer in NLD history (11) and should be for many more years ahead.
Read Also: 2022/23 Premier League Table Predictions
3. Tottenham are yet to outwin Arsenal in any English competitions
Arsenal and Tottenham have met in all English domestic competitions but Spurs are yet to have more wins than Arsenal in any of these competitions.
The closest they have is the community Shield where neither team could win during regulation time.
In other competitions, Spurs have been soundly beaten by Arsenal.
4. White Hart Lane has hosted the most North London Derby – 25
So far, the NLD has been hosted in 5 different stadiums namely; Highbury, Emirates, White Hart Lane, Wembley, and Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
White Hart lane alone hosted 25 of the NLD fixtures.
Read Also: The Premier League Loan Transfer Rules
5. Arsenal averages 1.53 Goals per game in the NLD compared to Tottenham’s 1.33
In 190 North London Derbies, Arsenal have scored 290 goals. That’s an average of 1.53 goals per game.
Tottenham on the other hand, have 252 goals in 190 matches, averaging 1.33 goals per game.
6. Tottenham have won (3) more European honors than Arsenal (2)
Although Arsenal have had the upper hand in the NLD itself, Tottenham have more European honors than Arsenal. It may sound strange and unbelievable but it is true.
Tottenham have won the Europa League 2X and the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup 1X.
Arsenal on the other hand have won the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup and the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (now the Europa League)- 1 apiece.
Read Also: Guardiola vs Mourinho H2H Stats
7. Arsenal have won (45) more than double Tottenham’s domestic honors combined (21)
Arsenal have a total of 45 domestic trophies to their name including 14 FA Cup titles.
Tottenham on the hand have 21 domestic trophies including 8 FA Cup triumphs.
8. Only 2 players have represented AND scored for both teams in the NLD
Only Emmanuel Adebayor and Jimmy Robertson represented both Arsenal and Tottenham AND scored for both teams in the North London derby.
Other players who represented both teams never had to chance to score for both.
9. The NLD has witnessed just 18 penalties in its history.
Derby matches in English Football are always like a make-or-burst game. Aggressive play, fouls, and Penalties are usually the cases in derbies.
However, the North London derby is not exactly so. Only 18 penalties are awarded in the North London derby since its first fixture in 1909!
10. Pat Jennings has the most North London derby appearances (32), 11 more than his closest rival Sol Campbell
Former Northern Irish Goalkeeper Pat Jennings featured in 32 North London derbies – the highest in the fixture’s history.
Sol Campbell featured 21 times in the NLD, making him the outfield player with the highest appearance in derby history.
- The Arsenal Invincibles Stats Report [Facts & Figures]
- Revealed: Why Aubameyang Left Arsenal For Barcelona
- Worst Arsenal Signings: The Top 10 Biggest Arsenal Flops
- Jose Mourinho’s Performance At Tottenham: The Overview
- Why Manchester United Chose Erik Ten Hag: 6 Key Reasons