In this article, you’ll have a summarised idea of the all time stats in the FA Cup.
The FA Cup, also known as The Football Association Cup, is a football competition in English football held annually in England. It is not just the oldest football competition in England but in the whole world with the first of its kind conducted in 1871 in which Wanderers were crowned champions and eventually won it again the following year. In 2015, it became The Emirates FA Cup after its headline sponsor.
Being the oldest football competition in the world with 152 years in existence, there are so many interesting stats, records and fun facts about the FA Cup which we’ll take a look at some of them in this article.
All Time Club Stats In The FA Cup
- Most wins: Arsenal are the record winner of the FA Cup, having won the competition 14 times.
- Most Consecutive Wins: Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers are the two teams with the most consecutive FA Cup wins with 3. Wanderers (1876, 1877, 1878) and Blackburn (1884, 1885, 1886).
- Most Final Appearances: Manchester United and Arsenal have made the most FA Cup final appearances with a total of 21 each.
- Most Consecutive Final Losses: Chelsea set a poor record for themselves by being the only team to lose 3 consecutive finals – 2020 (Arsenal), 2021 (Leicester), 2022 (Liverpool).
- Most Final Appearances Without Losing: The inaugural FA Cup winners, Wanderers, have won 5 final appearances without losing, the most from any other club.
- Biggest Win In A Final: Bury in 1903 against Derby County and Manchester City against Watford in 2019 both won the FA Cup finals by a 6-0 scoreline making it the biggest win in an FA Cup final.
- Most Defeats In A Final: Manchester United have lost 9 finals in the FA Cup, the most in the competition.
- Most Consecutive Games Without Defeat: From 1884 to 1886, Blackburn Rovers went on a 22-game unbeaten run.
PLAYER All Time STATS in FA CUP
- Most Goals In Finals: Ian Rush is the record goal scorer in the history of the FA Cup finals, scoring 5 in 3 finals for Liverpool.
- Most Wins By A Player: With 7 titles won, Ashley Cole holds the record for most FA Cup titles won as a player – 4 with Chelsea and 3 with Arsenal.
- Most Appearances: Ryan Giggs has the most appearances of 74 in FA Cup history.
- Most Final Appearances: Arthur Kinnaird has made the most FA Cup final appearances – 4 with the Wanderers and 5 with Old Etonians.
- Most Finals Scored In: No player has scored in more FA Cup finals than Didier Drogba who has scored in 4 finals.
- Youngest Player To Score In An FA Cup Final: In 1983, Norman Whiteside became the youngest player to score in an FA Cup final at the age of 18 years and 19 days for Manchester United.
- Fastest Goal: At just 4 seconds, Gareth Morris became FA Cup’s fastest goal scorer playing for Ashton United vs Skelmersdale United in 2001.
- Fastest Hat-Trick: Andy Locke scored the fastest FA Cup Hat-Trick in 2 minutes 20 seconds in 1995.
- Most Goals: Harry Cursham holds the record for most FA Cup goals with a total of 49 while playing for Notts County.
- Most Goals By A Player In A Single Season: Jimmy Ross scored the most goals in a single season with 19 while playing for Preston North End.
- Most Goals By A Player In A Single Game: Ted Macdougall holds this record after scoring 9 for AFC Bournemouth in an 11-0 defeat to Margate.
- Youngest Goal Scorer: At 16 years and 26 days, George Williams in the FA Cup for Milton Keynes Dons against Nantwich Town.
- Youngest Player: Andy Awford became the youngest player to feature in an FA Cup game at the age of 15 years and 88 days.
Fun Facts About The FA Cup
There are some random fun facts you need to know about the English FA Cup in its history:
- In 2013, Wigan Athletic got relegated from the Premier League. That same year, they won the FA Cup becoming the first team to achieve both in the same season.
- In 2019, Louis Saha scored the fastest FA Cup final goal for Everton after just 25 seconds. Everton went on to lose the game 2-1.
- Cardiff City, a club based in Wales is the only non-English team to ever win the FA Cup.
- In its 152 years of existence, the FA Cup final has only required a penalty shoot-out on two occasions – 2005 and 2006.
- The 2020 final is the only FA Cup final to be played without fans and spectators in the stadium.
- In 2022, Chelsea became the first team to lose 3 FA Cup finals in consecutive years. All against 3 different teams.
- Despite playing 7 finals more than Tottenham, Chelsea are still tied with the same number of FA Cup titles won with Spurs (8).
- Chelsea were the last team to win the FA Cup at the old Wembley and the first to win it at the new Wembley.
- Every team that won the FA Cup at the Millennium Stadium during Wembley’s reconstruction, had a red home kit.
- Portsmouth hold the record for most years as FA Cup Champions as they had the trophy for 7 years but they didn’t win the league for 7 consecutive years. The competition was postponed for that period of time because of World War II.
Top Six Teams With the Most FA Cup Titles
Below is a table of teams with the six English teams with the most FA Cup titles won.
|Teams||FA Cup Titles||Total Final Appearances|
From the table above, we can determine that Arsenal have the most FA Cup titles won with 14 and Arsenal and Man United with the most FA Cup final appearances with 21 each. We can also see that the six most successful teams in the FA Cup are the traditional top six in the Premier League.
FA Cup All Time Goalscorers
Now we take a look at the top 5 top goalscorers in the FA Cup’s history
Harry Cursham remains the FA Cup’s record top scorer, scoring 49 goals in 44 games for Notts County. Ian Rush, who is the record scorer in the finals, is only second to Harry Cursham in the goalscorers list with Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves and Steve Bloomer completing the top five.
Players With The Most FA Cup Titles
|Players||FA Cup Titles|
Ashley Cole, with 7 FA Cup titles to his name, is the player with the most titles winning 3 with Arsenal and 4 with Chelsea. Petr Cech, John Terry and Patrick Vieira all have 5 FA Cups each. There are 21 players with 4 FA Cup titles each.
Managers With The Most FA Cup Titles
|Managers||FA Cup Titles|
From the table above, Arsene Wenger has won the most FA Cup Titles as a manager being the most successful manager in the FA Cup, winning all 7 with The Gunners, the first won in 1998 and the last in 2017. George Ramsay is next on the list with 6, Alex Ferguson with 5 and John Nicholson with 4.
One of the most outstanding all time FA Cup stats is that Arsenal have won the competition a record 14 times. No other team has won as many.
The Emirates FA Cup has a rich history with a lot of stats and records from different clubs and individuals.
The competition is highly anticipated each year as the final always promises to be a blockbuster.
With all these records and statistics stated above, which one do you think will be broken soon and by who or what club?
- Total FA Cup Matches From the 6th Round
- Biggest FA Cup Upsets In History
- Arsenal’s Worst Signings In Their History
- Guardiola vs Sir Alex Ferguson Trophy Stats
- How Many Premier League Matches Are Played Per Season?