Football is a game of numbers; for managers, success is often measured in trophies won. Two of the most successful and celebrated football managers of all time are Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola. Ferguson spent 26 years as manager of Manchester United, while Guardiola has managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe, including Barcelona, Bayern Munich, and currently, Manchester City. Both managers have won numerous domestic and international trophies throughout their careers, but the question remains: who comes out on top regarding Guardiola vs Ferguson trophies?
In this detailed analysis, we will examine the trophy haul of each manager, including personal accolades and team accomplishments, to determine which of these legendary managers can claim to have had the more successful career in terms of silverware.
Sir Alex Ferguson Trophies in Summary
The table below includes all of Sir Alex Ferguson’s major domestic, European, and global honours won at Manchester United and Aberdeen FC.
|Trophies||Number of Trophies Won|
|Premier League / English First Division Titles||13|
|Charity / Community Shields||10|
|UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup||2|
|UEFA Super Cup||2|
|FIFA Club World Cup||1|
|Scottish First Division / Premier Division||3|
|Scottish League Cups||1|
Key Stats of Sir Alex Fergurson Trophies
- Sir Alex won a total of 49 major domestic, European, and global trophies throughout his career as a football manager.
- He won 13 English league titles with Manchester United, making him the most successful manager in the history of the English top flight.
- He won two Champions League titles with Manchester United, as well as one Europa League/UEFA Cup and two UEFA Super Cups.
- Sir Alex also won five English FA Cups, four English League Cups, and 10 English Super Cups (Community Shields).
- In addition to his success with Manchester United, Sir Alex also won three Scottish League titles, four Scottish Cups, and one Scottish League Cup with Aberdeen FC earlier in his career.
- Sir Alex’s most successful season as a manager was the 1998/99 season, when he won the English Premier League, the FA Cup, and the Champions League with Manchester United.
- Sir Alex was named the World’s Best Club Coach by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) twice (in 1998 and 2007).
- Sir Alex won a total of 17 Manager of the Season awards in England and Scotland throughout his career.
These statistics illustrate Sir Alex’s incredible success and longevity as a football manager and the range and diversity of trophies he won across various competitions and teams.
They also highlight his ability to achieve success over a sustained period consistently and his status as one of the most successful managers in the sport’s history.
Pep Guardiola Trophies in Summary
This table provides a quick overview of Guardiola’s trophy haul across his time as a coach in different clubs, including FC Barcelona, Bayern Munich, and Manchester City. It also shows the total number of trophies he has won so far, which is 33, to allow for easy comparison with Sir Alex Ferguson’s trophy haul.
|Trophies||Number of Times Won|
|FIFA Club World Cup||3|
|English Premier League||5|
|Spanish La Liga||3|
|UEFA Super Cup||3|
|English FA Cup||1|
|Copa Del Rey||2|
|English League Cup||4|
|Spanish Super Cup||3|
|English Community Shield||2|
Key Stats of Pep Guardiola Trophies
Here are some statistics that can be drawn from Pep Guardiola’s trophy haul:
- Pep Guardiola has won a total of 33 major trophies in his managerial career.
- He has twice won the UEFA Champions League, with FC Barcelona in 2008/09 and 2010/11.
- Guardiola has also won the FIFA Club World Cup three times, twice with FC Barcelona in 2009/10 and 2011/12 and once with Bayern Munich in 2013/14.
- In terms of domestic league titles, Guardiola has won the English Premier League four times with Manchester City, the German Bundesliga three times with Bayern Munich, and the Spanish La Liga three times with FC Barcelona.
- Guardiola has also won the UEFA Super Cup thrice, twice with FC Barcelona in 2009/10 and 2011/12 and once with Bayern Munich in 2013/14.
- He once won the English FA Cup with Manchester City in 2018/19.
- Guardiola has won the English League Cup four times with Manchester City, the German Cup twice with Bayern Munich, and the Spanish Cup twice with FC Barcelona.
- He has also won the English Community Shield twice with Manchester City and the Spanish Super Cup three times with FC Barcelona.
- Like Sir Alex Ferguson, Guardiola has won multiple league titles in different countries, showcasing his ability to adapt to different styles of play and football cultures.
- Guardiola’s trophy haul also includes a significant number of continental trophies, such as the UEFA Champions League, the FIFA Club World Cup, and the UEFA Super Cup. These are some of the most prestigious football competitions in the world, and winning them requires a high level of skill and strategy.
Overall, Guardiola’s trophy haul is impressive, showcasing his ability to win major titles across different leagues and countries consistently. He has won some of the most prestigious football competitions in the world, demonstrating his tactical acumen and leadership skills.
Guardiola vs Ferguson Trophies Comparison
|Manager||Champions League||FIFA Club World Cup||Domestic League||Domestic Cup||Domestic Super Cup||UEFA Super Cup||Other Trophies||Total Trophies|
|Sir Alex Fergurson||2||1||13||9||10||2||12||49|
Looking at the table of Guardiola vs Ferguson trophies, it’s clear that both managers have been incredibly successful in their careers, with a combined total of 82 trophies won between them. However, when it comes to total trophies won, Ferguson’s 49 trophies clearly outshines Guardiola’s 33.
While Sir Alex Ferguson has won more trophies overall, it’s worth noting that he had a longer managerial career than Guardiola, who is still active and adding to his trophy haul. Additionally, Guardiola has won a higher percentage of trophies per season managed than Ferguson, with an average of 2.33 trophies per season compared to Ferguson’s 1.41 trophies per season.
Despite the difference in total trophies won, it’s important to note that both managers have significantly impacted the football world with their tactical innovations and ability to produce winning teams consistently. While Ferguson may have won more trophies overall, Guardiola’s success across multiple leagues and countries is a testament to his managerial skill and adaptability.
Ultimately, it is difficult to compare these two managers in a definitive way, as they have both achieved incredible success in their own right. However, it’s safe to say that both Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola will be remembered as two of the greatest football managers of all time.
- Guardiola Vs Klopp H2H Stats
- Jose Mourinho vs Pep Guardiola H2H Stats
- Guardiola Champions League Stats
- Pep Guardiola vs Ancelotti H2H Stats
- Guardiola vs Tuchel Comparison